Monday, December 14, 2015

Traditions.

Ever since having my own kids, traditions have become so incredibly important to me. Traditions I had growing up, but more importantly, creating traditions for my own little family. Isn't that just the best? We get to decide!

I remember talking to Drew one year when Jasper was little and his family doing something a certain way, and my family doing it a different way and being torn about which one to do and he said 'We don't have to do either. We can make up our own, we get to decide!' I don't know why it took him saying that to make me realize. Like oh yeah, WE are the parents! We choose our own traditions! 

Some of the fun holiday traditions we have started. 

Book Calendar! Each year it's time to wrap up all the books for the calendar I get a bit annoyed at myself for starting this tradition. It's a pain! But then as soon as the kids see the books all wrapped under the tree and get to take turns finding the correct number to open and read each night, I'm grateful I did it. It's such a cozy way to end the night, reading under the tree. Tindra has especially gotten into it this year and always shouts "It's Christmas book time!" each night after she's gotten her jammies on and teeth brushed.

One new ornament each year! We started this tradition our first Christmas as a family of 3. We didn't have a lot of extra money to spend on Christmas decorations and had None, plus we were going to be traveling for 3 weeks over Christmas heading to Iowa and then North Carolina for Christmas with my family so it didn't seem worth it going all out, but we wanted something! So we bought our little fake 4 foot tree, some garland and red and gold balls and each of us picked out an ornament. Or rather we picked Jasper's out. But every year after he has picked his own! It's so fun to look at the ornaments each year and remember special interests each kid had. Like this year, Tindra picked a skull..odd choice right? Well earlier this year she picked out a toy with birthday money, it was a little dentist set for her doll house. With it came a little skull. She wanted to know what it was and became obsessed with looking at pictures of skulls on Drew's phone. Super random. But something I hope these ornaments help me remember.

Zoo Lights! Each year we go to the Denver Zoo Lights and it never disappoints. We drink hot chocolate while walking around at night looking at all the lights. So cozy. 

Picking a tree in the mountains! For the past 4 years we have gone up to the mountains to get a real tree. It's probably my Favorite tradition. This year we found a little Mexican restaurant and had lunch after, and I'm thinking that needs to be apart of the new tradition as well!

Lucia! In Sweden December 13th is Lucia Day, honoring Saint Lucia. All daycares/schools/towns have Lucia parades where they sing, pass out bullar (cinnamon buns and saffron buns) its such a cozy time and I'm So glad the kids Swedish school celebrates this as well. Yesterday they had their Lucia celebration and it was so adorable. Tindra got Really into it and couldn't wait to show off her white Lucia dress. (I'll share pictures tomorrow!)

Of course all the cookie baking, ginger break making goes on as well. And we try to get together with friends every year at some point and do a Swedish 'Jul Bord'- Christmas table, where we eat lots of delicious Swedish Christmas food. Also a favorite of mine! For obvious reasons.

Do you have any fun Christmas traditions you have started?

As Tindra gets a bit older, maybe starting next year, I'd love to do a mom/daughter date each Christmas season and go see the nutcracker! I think she would Love that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment